Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Grilled Skewered Shrimp and Greek Salad with Orzo

I'm back from a 10 day trip to Texas and then Monterey for work/pleasure, and so glad to be back at home after so many nights away. While in Dallas and Houston I ate some delicious Tex Mex and Barbecue, but definitely missed my vegetables, which I could hear calling to me as they went bad in my fridge back at home. Now that I'm here and back in the swing of things I hope to get back to cooking, but here is a recipe from before I left.

I made this dinner because I was craving a greek salad. It was during a warm night in last August and I spent the majority of the afternoon at work dreaming about it. I combined the veggies in my fridge with a little feta and had a great side for my grilled shrimp.


The shrimp came from Whole Foods and were marinated in a lemon thyme concoction (I think) according to the sign. All I did was throw them on the indoor grill until they were pink. Yum!

Greek Salad with Orzo
1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
1 med. Red Onion
1 lg. Cucumber
1 Pear
Orzo Pasta, cooked and drained
Feta Cheese, crumbled

Dressing:
Red Wine Vinegar
Olive Oil
Lemon Juice
Honey
Salt and Pepper


This was so long ago I can't remember what my measurements were on the dressing, but I know it was tangy with just a touch of sweet, light and refreshing. It was easy to chop the veggies while the pasta was cooking then toss them all together with an eyeballed mix of dressing ingredients. I may have gone overboard with the dressing because the salad was a little juicy. I loved the little bit of sweetness the pear provided and the way the orzo offset all the veggies. This meal was perfect for a warm night.

1 comment:

  1. I always miss the box whenever we go on vacation! It's like an addiction- gimmie my veggies!

    ReplyDelete