Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hilary vs. Cooking Light Magazine - Penne with Sage and Mushrooms



I LOVE Cooking Light Magazine. I get so excited when it comes every month and I devour the photos and the recipes, and take a lot of inspiration from it... but it seems like I never actually cook the recipes. I have the best intentions every month, and I absolutely refuse to throw them away (much to Ryan's shagrin) because I'm sure eventually I will need a recipe from the April 06 issue. So I had an idea. Maybe I should try replicating at least one recipe every month so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.



My first try was last night: the Penne with Sage and Mushrooms recipe on pg. 122 of the September issue. The final result was delicious, but not exactly the 350 calorie per serving creation from the magazine. I also learned that even when I try I can't measure exactly, but I figure it's not baking so as long as it tastes good that doesn't matter... right?



I got home from work around 7 and decided it was waaay too late to roast a head of garlic, so I decided to use some handy dandy garlic paste from the fridge instead. I also added some mild italian sausage because I wanted to make sure there was plenty of flavor. I used fresh cremini, shiitake and oyster mushrooms because I have had terrible experiences with dried ones and plenty of sage and parmesan.



I liked that the sauce was only reduced chicken stock, which provided lots of flavor without masking the mushrooms or the sage and I would totally make it again. I added plenty of parmesan cheese at the end and served it with baby romaine greens. Success! Now if I could just learn to take a photograph...


No comments:

Post a Comment